The Upper Bridge


The Upper Bridge photo of The Upper Bridge
When completed in 1908 the Upper Bridge, today known as the Currie Parkway Bridge, replaced its wooden predecessor as the main crossing over the Tittabawassee River. The Joliet Bridge and Iron Company of Illinois constructed the bridge for $7,500. It is a 140-foot-long steel Pratt through-truss bridge. In 1955 the Karl B. Robertson Bridge, built one-quarter mile to the south, succeeded the Upper Bridge as the city's main river crossing. In order to preserve the Upper Bridge, the city added an independent structural arch in 1988.
 

Registered Site L1581
Erected 1991

Location: Currie Parkway
Midland, Midland County

Topics:
Bridges


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.6175880 W84.2520368
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.