St. Philip's Lutheran Church


St. Philip's Lutheran Church
St. Philip's Lutheran Church, founded 1934, was the first black Lutheran church in Michigan. The Reverend H. J. Storm came to Detroit from his Windsor parish to lead St. Philip's congregation each week until 1936, when the Reverend Raymond R. Pollatz became the church's first resident pastor. The parish soon moved from its one-room apartment to a school and later to a remodeled synagogue on King Street. The parish dedicated the building at this location on May 20, 1951.
 
 
Side 2
As the only black Lutheran church in Michigan in the 1930s, St. Philip's expanded quickly. Berea Lutheran, St Titus, and St. Mathias churches all grew from the original congregation. St. Philip's chose quality education for blacks as one of its missions. In 1944 it opened St. Philip's Day School in the basement of the church on King Street. The church was the first Lutheran school in Michigan open to black students, and many of Detroit's black leaders attended it.

Registered Site L1579
Erected 1988

Location: 2884 East Grand Blvd.
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Black History
Churches and Religious Buildings
Missing Markers

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.373171 W83.065736
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.