Methodist Episcopal Church


Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Methodist Episcopal Church
This congregation dates from 1849, when people worshipped in log barracks within Fort Gratiot. Known as the Mission of Fort Gratiot, it was served by circuit riders until 1859 when the Reverend Samuel Clemens began his tenure. The present church building comprises one erected in 1866, and named Gratiot Park Methodist Episcopal Church, as well as contemporary additions. In 1968 the church was formally renamed the Gratiot Park United Methodist Church.
 
 
Side 2
In 1859 the Reverend A.E. Ketchum established a Methodist class at the Fort Gratiot Mission. Church "brothers" ventured to remote areas seeking new members. As industry and business came into the area, the church's ministries enjoyed new success. In 1866 a chapel had been built at Fort Gratiot; three years later the Methodist Episcopal Church, Detroit Conference, appointed the first fully independent pastor to the Fort Gratiot Church.

Registered Site L1506
Erected 1995

Location: 2503 Cherry
Port Huron, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.001667 W82.428611
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.