Lewiston Church of Christ


Lewiston Church of Christ photo of Lewiston Church of Christ
Lewiston developed in 1891-1892 around the Michelson and Hanson Lumber Company. Dr. U. H. Traver and George Tuxworth held the first religious meetings in the lumber camp. The Reverend A. M. Mills was sent by the Congregational Conference of Michigan to hold revival meetings, and on November 28, 1892, thirty people chartered the First Congregational Church. Two years later they built a church, which was incorporated over the years into the present one. The lumber mills ceased operating and the population declined around 1910. The congregation's membership dwindled, but the church survived. As a result of a merger in 1957, the church was renamed the Congregational United Church of Christ.
 

Registered Site L1500
Erected 1992

Location: Kneeland and Woodfield
Lewiston, Montmorency County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.8866552 W84.3049728
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.