Bingham District No. 5 Schoolhouse


Bingham District No. 5 Schoolhouse photo of Bingham District No. 5 Schoolhouse
This school was erected in 1877 to replace a log structure built in 1870. The school has two rooms that housed grades one through eight. Older children attended school in Suttons Bay or Traverse City. Sunday school classes met here until 1888 when an Evangelical church was built across the road. Bingham prospered during the lumber booms of the 1870s and 1880s. By 1910 area timber was depleted, and Bingham's population declined. This building served as a school until after World War II. It has been used as the township hall for many years. In 1987 the school was restored to its original appearance. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L1462
Erected 1993

Location: 7171 S. Center Rd.
Bingham Township, Leelanau County

Topics:
Schools


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.8752747 W85.6742191
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.