Mikulich General Store


Mikulich General Store photo of Mikulich General Store
Traunik was the heart of a large ethnic community that developed in the early 1900s, when Slovenians who cut timber settled on the cut over land. This store, built in 1922 - 23, was purchased by Louis Mikulich in 1925. Mikulich's store was the social and economic center for the community. In 1927 Mikulich became the postmaster and opened an office in the store. His family's residence was on the second floor. The Mikulich General Store was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
 

Photo courtesy of Jeff and AJ Fischer of Lily's Inn & Natural Foods

Registered Site L1460
Erected 1994

Location: County Road H-44
Traunik, Alger County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N46.2607130 W86.9605636
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.