First Congregational Church


First Congregational Church photo of First Congregational Church
This monumental Romanesque Revival church was erected in 1859 according to plans by architect Horatio N. White of Syracuse, New York. It is this congregation's third church. In 1871 the building was raised eight feet to accommodate lower-level classrooms. In September 1861, on the eve of departing for duty in the Civil War, the "Jackson Blair Cadets" and the Jackson County Rifles gathered with their families in the crowded sanctuary. At Detroit's Fort Wayne the troops joined the Eighth and Ninth Michigan infantries respectively. Beginning in the 1840s with the antislavery movement, the congregation actively participated in social reform -- most notably the temperance and civil rights crusades.
 

Registered Site L1410
Erected 1993

Location: 120 N. Jackson
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.247677 W84.408837
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.