The German Church


The German Church photo of The German Church
Many of Manchester's early settlers came from Wittenberg, Germany. Since there was no Evangelical church in Manchester, the immigrants worshipped at Bethel Church in Freedom Township. In 1862 the reverend J. G. Hildner established an Evangelical congregation in Manchester. Services were conducted in German and held in houses until the congregation purchased an unused school in the 1870s. The Reverend S. Edelstein became the first resident pastor. In early 1882 the congregation purchased an entire city block and the present Gothic Revival church, designed by Detroit architect Carl Schmid, was built and named the Immanuel United Evangelical Church. In 1936 the congregation joined the Evangelical and Reformed Church and it became part of the United Church of Christ in the early 1960s.
 

Registered Site L1404
Erected 1989

Location: 324 West Main
Manchester, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.148104 W84.042682
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.