Flint Road Cart Factory / Durant Dort Carriage Factory


Flint Road Cart Factory photo of Flint Road Cart Factory / Durant Dort Carriage Factory
This one-story mill was built in the early 1880s as part of an unsuccessful effort to diversify the Flint Woolen Mills. In 1886, J. Dallas Dort and Billy Durant began leasing it to manufacture road carts. By the end of its first year of operation, their Flint Road Cart Company had produced 4,000 vehicles The company later expanded to produce four-wheeled carriages, wagons and, for a short time, bicycles. The company ceased carriage manufacturing in 1917, and this building and other surrounding factories were converted to the manufacture of the Dort Motor car.
 
 
Durant-Dort Carriage Factory No. 1
Built in 1888 this building exemplifies the dramatic growth of the Flint Road Cart Company, which became the Durant-Dort Carriage Company. During the 1890s, Durant-Dort expanded its Blue Ribbon line to include Webster Vehicle farm wagons, the Victoria Vehicle Company's mail-order business and the Diamond Buggy Company. By 1900, Durant-Dort was the largest volume producer of horse-drawn vehicles in the United States. In 1906, its peak year, it employed 1,000 people and produced 56,000 vehicles.

Registered Site L1395
Erected 1988

Location: 311 Water Street
Flint, Genesee County

Topics:
Auto Industry
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.0174582 W83.6951833
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.