Portage Prairie United Methodist Church


Portage Prairie United Methodist Church photo of Portage Prairie United Methodist Church
Persuaded by reports of good land from the Reverend John Seybert, Bishop for the Ohio Conference, the Jacob and David Rough families came to Portage Prairie from Pennsylvania in the spring of 1849. In 1851 the organized the Zion Evangelical Church. The denomination merged with the United Evangelical Church in 1922 and with the United Brethren Church in 1946. This church was renamed the Portage Prairie United Methodist Church in 1968.
 
 
Side 2
In 1887 the Reverend J.A. Frye sparked a religious revival that inspired the construction of this Gothic Revival church. Embellished with oak details, the church cost $7,200 and was debt-free upon its dedication. Its 100-foot steeple was removed on 1919 due to severe electrical storms. Evangelical pioneers had worshipped in a log schoolhouse until 1859, when they built a yellow brick church. That structure was replaced by the present church.

Registered Site L1368
Erected 1989

Location: 2450 Orange Road
Niles, Berrien County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N41.783117056 W86.34006679
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.