Old Wayne Village Hall


Old Wayne Village Hall photo of Old Wayne Village Hall
Since 1878 the Old Wayne Village Hall has served as the center of civic affairs in Wayne. It is one of the few surviving Second Empire style buildings in Wayne County. The first meeting of the village took place on April 20, 1869. In the following years, meetings were held in rented quarter. In 1877, when the village's population had reached 1,400, Wayne officials approved plans for a village hall and jail. James Lewis of Detroit received the building contract in January 1878. On August 19, 1878, the cornerstone was laid. The new village hall, built at a cost of $1,415, was completed on November 19, 1878. and accepted for use on January 7, 1879. In 1916 quarters for the police and fire departments were added. The building became the Wayne Historical Museum in 1969.
 

Registered Site L1347
Erected 1987

Location: 405 East Main St.
Wayne, Wayne County

Topics:
Museums
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.280844 W83.385077
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.