State Police Post


State Police Post photo of State Police Post
A Michigan State Police post has been located in this area since the early days of the department. In 1917 the first detachment in Monroe County was posted to South Rockwood, about one mile south of here. Close to both Detroit and the Canadian border, the original post was on the well-traveled Dixie Highway. The early troopers patrolled on horseback. Area headquarters were moved to this building, the first standardized state police post in 1930. The building was purchased by the village of Rockwood for municipal offices in 1941, when the post was decommissioned.
 

Registered Site L1340
Erected 1987

Location: 32409 Fort Street
Rockwood, Wayne County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.071489 W83.247046
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.