Evergreen Cemetery


Evergreen Cemetery photo of Evergreen Cemetery
In 1862 the village Muskegon purchased this ten acre site for a new cemetery. It was formally platted in 1864, and the first burial took place that same year. The Ladies Cemetery Association was organized to beautify and maintain the grounds, which were quite desolate and surrounded by rough boarrd fence. There was no sexton in the early years so the association was responsible for all improvements. The cemetery became the final resting place for many prominent Muskegon citizens. There are 3,200 graves, 965 of which date from the nineteenth century. The gently rolling, landscaped grounds contain family mausoleums, columbaria, eleven above ground crypts and vaults, and several obelisks and marble markers.
 
 
Side 2
Many of Muskegon's most prominent civic, commercial and industrial leaders are buried in Evergreen Cemetery. Lumberman and civic benefactor Charles H. Hackley's Vermont granite mausoleum is one of the most imposing structures. A "branded hand" marks the resting place of abolitionist Jonathon Walker, sentenced by a federal court to be branded for helping slaves escape, Lumberman Thomas H. Hume; Chauncey Davis, first mayor of Muskegon; educator David McLaughlin, who introduced kindergartens into Michigan public schools systems; Adelphia Grace "Mother" Ward, founder of the Maccabees Life Insurance Company; and Winfield Scott Gerrish, designer of Michigan's first steam powered narrow gauge, logging railroad are also interred here.

Registered Site L1329
Erected 1999

Location: Iriving St.
Muskegon, Muskegon County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.226675 W86.235635
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.