Dexter Depot / Track Pans


Dexter Depot photo of Dexter Depot / Track Pans
The Michigan Central Railroad reached Dexter from Detroit on July 4, 1841, just after Dexter's first depot was completed. Frederick H. Spier of Detroit designed the present depot, which was completed in record time. Work began on November 6, 1886, and at noon on January 19, 1887, the station opened. The plantings for the grounds came from railroad greenhouses at Niles and Ypsilanti. The depot had two waiting rooms, a ticket office and a baggage room. Passenger service ended at the Dexter depot in 1953.
 
 
Track Pans
Kinnear, located two miles west of Dexter was the site of Michigan's first railroad track water pans, which were built in 1901. The pans were situated between the rails and heated during cold weather. Steam locomotives scooped up the water as they moved over the pans. The Kinnear pans and telegraph station were named after Wilson S. Kinnear, chief engineer of the Detroit River Railroad tunnel. In 1913 the pan were dismantled and moved to Four Mile Lake between Dexter and Chelsea.

Registered Site L1303
Erected 1987

Location: 3487 Broad Street
Dexter, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.340094 W83.883903
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.