Indian Cemetery


Indian Cemetery photo of Indian Cemetery
In the 1850s, the Methodist Episcopal (Indian) Church established the Bradley Mission School and Indian Cemetery in this area. The cemetery served the mission until the late 1860s. Only a few grave markers are visible, and it is not known how many Indians are buried here. The best-known Indian buried here was Chief Shaw - Shaw - Waw - Na - Beece (1817-1868). As leader of the Saginaw Swan Creek and Black River Band of Chippewa, he signed the Treaty of 1855, which set aside six adjoining townships of land in Isabella County for his tribe.
 

Registered Site L1298
Erected 1987

Location: 1475 South Bamber Rd
Mount Pleasant, Isabella County

Topics:
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.621204 W84.797964
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.