Potterville United Methodist Church


Potterville United Methodist Church photo of Potterville United Methodist Church
The Potterville United Methodist Church was organized after the Reverend Hiram Nichols held a revival meeting in Potterville in 1867. The congregation appointed a building committee in 1875 and began work on the church in the spring of 1877. George M. Potter donated the land for the church, which was dedicated on February 3, 1878. The church took its present name after the Methodist Church merged with the Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1968.
 
 
Side 2
When constructed in 1877, the church seated three hundred people. its main entrance was at its southeast corner. From 1920 to 1923 the church remodeled and enlarged under the guidance of head carpenter John Griffith. Much of the original woodwork on the windows and gables was removed; however, the stained glass windows and the bell were left intact. The church also retained its L-shape, frame structure and high gable roofs.

Registered Site L1296
Erected 1987

Location: 105 N. Church St.
Potterville, Eaton County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.626773 W84.741473
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.