Morton Cemetery


Morton Cemetery photo of Morton Cemetery
On April 13, 1836, Eleazar Morton (1786-1864) purchased land here for $1,000. Before long, he set aside a family cemetery plot. Other families asked to purchase adjacent plots. The cemetery grew, and in 1884, Eleazar's son Henry C. and surveyor Ross Shinn formally registered a plat of Morton Cemetery. In 1902 Henry's son, J. Stanley Morton and his wife Carrie sold Morton Cemetery to the City of Benton Harbor for one dollar, with the provision that prior deeds and receipts for plots be honored. City founders and military veterans are buried here. Those who fought in the Civil War include members of the locally organized 12th and 17th Infantry and four men who served in the 102nd United States Colored Troops, a regiment of African Americans that was recruited as the First Michigan Colored Infantry.
 

Registered Site L1285
Erected 2016

Location: 726 Territorial Road
Benton Harbor, Berrien County

Topics:
Black History
Cemeteries


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.118808580 W86.44076362
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2016 James Brennan. All rights reserved.