St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church Complex


St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church Complex photo of St. Josaphat Roman Catholic Church Complex
St. Josaphat's founded on June 1, 1889, was the third Polish-speaking Roman Catholic parish established in Detroit. On February 2, 1890, it dedicated a combination church and school building. Within a decade plans were begun for a new church rectory and a convent. In 1901 this late Victorian Romanesque-style church was completed at a cost of $100,000. The church was designed by Joseph G. Kastler and William E. N. Hunter. Local carpenters, Harcus and Lang and the Jermolowisz Brothers, were the builders. The stained glass was crafted by the Detroit Stained Glass Works. In 1907 the convent was completed. The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
 

Registered Site L1281
Erected 1987

Location: 715 East Canfield
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Catholic Churches
Missing Markers

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.356298 W83.052711
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.