St. Mary's Church


St. Mary's Church photo of St. Mary
In 1850 a Catholic Parish was established in St. Clair by Bishop Peter Paul LeFevre, who appointed Father Lawrence Kilroy as the first resident pastor. The parish completed a modest church at the intersection of Fifth and Pine in 1853. In 1864-1865, under the leadership of Father Francis VanderBom, the present brick church was completed at a cost of $13,000. Bricks for the church were hand formed and hauled to the site by church women. The present transept was added in 1921 during the pastorate of Father Edward J. Kromenaker (1917-1959).
 

Registered Site L1270A
Erected 1987

Location: 415 North Sixth
St. Clair, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.8272688 W82.4902975
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.