Sheldon's Corners


Sheldon's Corners photo of Sheldon
Timothy and Rachael Sheldon moved here from New York state in the early 1820s, after the Chicago Road (now US 12) was surveyed. The first people to purchase land in the area, they built an inn near here in 1825. In 1830 Timothy became postmaster of the area's post office. Eventually the settlement of Sheldon's Corners supported a log schoolhouse, two general stores, two churches, a cobbler and a blacksmith. In 1834 this area became part of the Township of Canton.
 

Registered Site L1238
Erected 1987

Location: Michigan Avenue and Sheldon Rd
Canton, Wayne County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2747466 W83.4755533
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.