First Baptist Church


First Baptist Church photo of First Baptist Church
The Reverend Thomas Z. R. Jones, a traveling missionary, began visiting the Marshall area in 1838. On January 16, 1840 he helped organize the First Baptist Church of Marshall with eight members. The group erected this church in 1850-51. They enlarged and remodeled it in 1876 with plans provided by Benjamin J. Bartlett of Chicago. The handsome Romanesque church, now the oldest church edifice in the city, features rounded-arch stained glass windows and an early example of a modified Akron (semicircular) seating plan.
 

Registered Site L1226
Erected 1986

Location: 305 West Michigan Ave.
Marshall, Calhoun County

Topics:
Baptist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2715612 W84.9630689
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.