St. Paul's Episcopal Church


St. Paul's Episcopal Church photo of St. Paul
On December 8, 1838, the founders of St. Paul's Parish met and began the task of drafting the Articles of Organization for a "new Protestant society." The Parish of St. Paul's Church was officially established with signing by twenty-two person of the Articles of Organization on January 12, 1839. Its first house of worship, a small frame church completed at a cost of $2,500 by vestry member Lemuel S. House, was consecrated on October 20, 1840. By 1859 the group had outgrown its original home, and plans were begun to build a larger church. Designed by Buffalo architect Calvin N. Otis, the new Romanesque Revival church was consecrated on January 11, 1853. Remodeled and expanded several times, it is one of the oldest Episcopal church structures in southern Michigan.
 

Registered Site L1221
Erected 1986

Location: 309 South Jackson
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2453651 W84.4084256
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.