Detroit Association of Women's Clubs


Detroit Association of Women's Clubs photo of Detroit Association of Women
Detroit Association of Colored Women's Clubs was organized on April 8, 1921, with eight clubs. This association reached its peak membership in 1945 with 73 clubs and 3,000 members. Affiliated with the Michigan and National Associations of Colored Women's Clubs, the Detroit association fosters educational, philanthropic and social programs. The association was incorporated in 1941. That same year, supported by a mortgage on its president's home, the association purchased the present clubhouse, a handsome Colonial Revival style structure. The club members completely paid for the clubhouse in less than five years. The association sponsors girls' clubs, scholarships, annual clothing drives for needy school children and charitable programs for seniors and the dispossessed. Its motto is "Lifting as We Climb."
 

Registered Site L1207
Erected 1986

Location: 5461 Brush Street
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Black History
Clubs and Organizations


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.362718 W83.062692
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.