St. Thomas the Apostle Church


St. Thomas the Apostle Church photo of St. Thomas the Apostle Church
In 1831 Father Patrick O'Kelly came from Detroit to minister to the Irish Catholics in the Washtenaw area. He offered his first mass in Ann Arbor on July 12, 1835, in a home located on land bounded by Detroit, Kingsley, and Fifth Streets. St. Thomas parish took a more permanent form in 1840 when under the leadership of Father Thomas Cullen it purchased land on Kingsley Street near Division Street and built Ann Arbor's first brick church. It established a parochial school in 1868. The church site was purchased in 1883. The present church, begun under Father Edward D. Kelly, was dedicated in 1899. Its granite fieldstone and Bailey bluestone were donated and hauled to the site by parishioners and area farmers. The first hospital to serve the community and two additional Ann Arbor Catholic parishes emerged from St. Thomas parish.
 

Registered Site L1181
Erected 1985

Location: East Kingsley and North State Streets
Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.28461 W83.74106
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.