Seymour Lake Methodist Episcopal Church


Seymour Lake Methodist Episcopal Church photo of Seymour Lake Methodist Episcopal Church
The local Methodist society organized in 1837 at the house of Joseph Shurter, met in residences and schoolhouses for nearly four decades. In 1871, Irene Gibbs donated this land for its use. The church's cornerstone was laid on May 29, 1874. Lumber for the $4,000 structure was hauled from Kings Mill near Lapeer. The builders were George Brock, Charles Tolfree and J. K. Wolfe. The building has been used as a house of worship and a community gathering place since its dedication on October 27, 1874.
 

Registered Site L1176
Erected 1987

Location: 3050 Sashabaw Road
Seymour Lake, Oakland County

Topics:
Methodist Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.8077516 W83.3727872
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.