First Baptist Church


First Baptist Church photo of First Baptist Church
In 1834 thirteen Jackson pioneers established the Barry-Jackson Baptist Church in Sandstone Township. Five years later the Reverend David Hendee and seventeen members of that church formed the First Baptist Church in Jackson. Meetings were held in several locations until 1868, when construction began on the present church. J.R. Lewis provided the plans and specifications for this Romanesque Revival-style structure. When a lack of funds resulted in repeated construction delays, "Uncle Ben" Mosher, a member of the building committee, agreed to erect the walls for free if the materials were supplied. A donation from four church members in 1871 assured the structures completion. The church was eventually dedicated on March 10, 1872.
 

Registered Site L1171
Erected 1989

Location: 201 South Jackson Street
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Baptist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.246392 W84.408838
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.