Stow - Hasbrouck House


Stow - Hasbrouck House photo of Stow - Hasbrouck House
Granville and Catherine Stow, natives of New York built this house between 1836 and 1844. In 1861 Matthew Hasbrouck bought the house. Also from New York, Hasbrouck descended from the French Huguemots, who sought refuge in North America from religious persecution in Europe during the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1937 the Huegenot Society of Michigan was organized here. The Stow - Hasbrouck House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Revised Text - 1997.
 
 
Hasbrouck House
Matthew Hasbrouck (1814-1883), a native of New Paltz, New York, settled near Marshall in 1837. In 1841 he had this house built in the style of his ancestral home in New Paltz. the Huguenot floor plan, featuring two entrances and the possibility of separate living units, is rare in Michigan. Hasbrouck's ancestors were among the French Huguenots, who came to North America to escape religious persecution in the 16th and 17th centuries. The Huguenot Society of Michigan was organized in this house in 1937.

Original Text - 1984.

Registered Site L1169
Erected 1985

Location: 18600 Sixteen Mile Road
Convis Township, Calhoun County

Topics:
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3357388 W84.9865007
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.