Religious of the Sacred Heart


Religious of the Sacred Heart photo of Religious of the Sacred Heart
Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five Religious of the Sacred Heart arrived in Detroit in 1851. The nuns opened a school on the north side of Jefferson Avenue, near this site. From 1851 to 1861 the school occupied three locations on Jefferson Avenue. The religious also taught in French-, Italian-, and English-speaking parishes. In 1861 they erected a new school on this site. It operated until 1918. It was relocated on Lawrence Avenue from 1918 to 1958, when it was moved to Bloomfield Hills.
 

Marker in Storage

Registered Site L1157
Erected 1984

Location: South of East Jefferson Between Beaubien and St. Antoine
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings
Missing Markers

Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.3308175 W83.0386832
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.