Delta Center Methodist Church


Delta Center Methodist Church photo of Delta Center Methodist Church
In 1837, Methodists in Delta Township began meeting in a log schoolhouse. Served by circuit riders, they organized as a Methodist class in 1842 with two families. The class grew, and in 1865 the Reverend J. Gulic became its first appointed minister. On June 6, 1867, a Ladies Aid Society was formed to raise funds to build an adequate place of worship. The church, completed in 1873, was significantly enlarged in 1926 and 1954. During a special conference in the summer of 1962, delegates from Delta Center and nearby Bethel and Millet voted to merge their three churches. The first meeting of the newly formed church was held at Delta Center Methodist Church on June 24, 1962. The name Trinity Methodist Church was adopted on July 5, 1962.
 
 
Side 2
The original white frame church that stood just northwest of the present church was designed by Darius B. Moon, a native of Delta Township, in 1873. Members of the congregation donated labor and much of the building material. The 30' x 50' structure, which cost $340, served area Methodists for 110 years. When completed it was a crisp, clean, simple rectangular building with a central entrance and rectangular windows. It was topped by a square louvered belfry, with bracketed cornice and turned up finial capping. The last regular worship service in the frame church was held on March 10, 1968. The congregation used the old church as a fellowship hall until it was razed on May 18, 1983.

Buildings Designed by Darius Moon
Delta Center Methodist Church
Morgan B. Hungerford House
Rogers-Carrier House
Turner-Dodge House
Woodberry-Kerns House


Registered Site L1120
Erected 1984

Location: 7533 W. St. Joseph
Lansing, Eaton County

Topics:
Methodist Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.726336710 W84.66167315
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.