St. Paul the Apostle Church


St. Paul the Apostle Church photo of St. Paul the Apostle Church
St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church was established in 1889 by Slovenian immigrants who came to the area to work in the mines of the Copper Country. The wood frame church erected by the parish in 1890 was destroyed by fire in 1902. The following year this elegant Romanesque church, designed by Erhard Brielmater of Milwaukee, was begun. It was completed at a cost of $100,000 in 1908. Built of locally-quarried Jacobsville sandstone, the structure displays Cathedral-type stained glass windows from the Ford Brothers Glass Studio of Minneapolis. Its interior features a beautifully painted sixty-five foot nave. In 1966 four parishes consolidated, making this building their church and changing its name to St. Paul the Apostle.
 

Registered Site L1089
Erected 1986

Location: 301 Eighth Avenue
Calumet, Houghton County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N47.246444 W88.456453
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.