Tuscola County Courthouse


Tuscola County Courthouse photo of Tuscola County Courthouse
Peter DeWitt Bush (1818-1913), the second permanent resident of the village of Caro, donated the site for the village courthouse square in 1866. Then he, along with two other pioneer settlers, moved an old frame church to the site to serve as the county's first courthouse. In 1873 the county replaced the former church with a brick courthouse that served the community's needs until 1932, when the present Art Deco style structure was completed. Designed by Detroit architect William H. Kuni and built by Cecil M. Kelly, a Caro native, the courthouse is faced with Indiana limestone. Situated on the same site as the old brick courthouse, this $180,000 structure was completely paid for when it was dedicated on January 24, 1933, by means of a one-mill, five-year tax levy.
 

Registered Site L1045
Erected 1984

Location: 440 North State Street
Caro, Tuscola County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.49122 W83.393383
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.