Hilberry Theatre


Hilberry Theatre photo of Hilberry Theatre
This structure was completed in 1917 for the First Church of Christ, Scientist. Field, Hinchman and Smith - predecessor to the architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls - designed it in a Classical Roman Ionic style. In 1961, Wayne State University acquired the building and converted the auditorium into an open stage theater. Named after the president of the university, Clarence B. Hilberry, the theater was created to house a graduate repertory company, which opened its first season in 1964.
 

Registered Site L1037
Erected 1982

Location: 4743 Cass
Detroit, Wayne County

Topics:
Theaters, Halls, and Arenas


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.354258 W83.065652
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.