The Peninsula Building


The Peninsula Building photo of The Peninsula Building
Originally designed for the Peninsula Restaurant, this three-story brick structure was build by Nicholas Baumann in 1874. The elegant ethnic restaurant gave way to the Franklin and Folz clothing store in 1884. After Franklin and Folz moved in 1924, the building housed a succession of businesses including a stove company, a department store, a book bindery and a hotel. It became the headquarters for the W.R. Biggs / Gilmore Agency in 1973. Severly damaged by a 1980 tornado, the building was completely rehabilitated in 1980-81.
 

Registered Site L1000
Erected 1984

Location: 111 Portage Street
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics:
Commercial Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.2914174 W85.5817687
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.