Lake View Hotel


Lake View Hotel photo of Lake View Hotel
Originally known as the Lake View House, this is one of the oldest continuously operated hotels on Mackinac Island. Reuben Chapman built the structure in 1858. After his death in 1860, the hotel was operated by his wife, Maria. In 1880 the Chapman's daughter, Jeannie, and son-in-law. Claude C. Cable purchased the structure. Later they changed the name to the Lake View Hotel. In the 1890s as Mackinac Island became a midwestern tourist mecca, the hotel was enlarged and two large towers were added. The restaurant and bar were built in 1969 and expanded in 1975. The original portion of the hotel is a well preserved example of vernacular resort architecture. The handsome building is accented by an open, wood columned porch with a modified hipped roof and a raised basement.
 

The Michigan historic marker that was placed in front of the Lake View Hotel in 1985, was taken down in the fall of 2008 because changes made to the hotel compromised the historic character of the building. The hotel was registered as a state historic structure in 1982.

Registered Site L0982
Erected 1985

Location: SW end of Huron Street
Mackinac Island, Mackinac County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N45.847545658 W84.61858749
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.