Community Presbyterian Church


Community Presbyterian Church photo of Community Presbyterian Church
The Community Presbyterian Church grew out of the Civic Park Community, which General Motors established in 1919 through its Modern Housing Corporation to provide housing for its Flint workers. Several Presbyterian families in the area first met in December 1919 for a Christmas party, and by 1921 the group had grown so large that a formal Presbyterian church was organized. The Reverend Orville H. Hood became the first installed pastor in 1922 and served until his death in 1949. The congregation's first building was in an old construction barracks located at the corner of Hamilton and Chevrolet. The basement of the present Gothic-inspired edifice was completed in 1924, and the sanctuary, in 1927. The stately blond-brick structure features stone trim and leaded glass windows.
 

Registered Site L0926
Erected 1982

Location: 2505 Chevrolet Avenue
Flint, Genesee County

Topics:
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.038709 W83.716137
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.