Presbyterian Church of South Saginaw


Presbyterian Church of South Saginaw photo of Presbyterian Church of South Saginaw
Begun in 1865 as a Sunday School for children of this area, the Presbyterian Church of South Saginaw was formally organized on November 10, 1866. Shortly afterwards, the congregation purchased a small building in the corner of Washington and Williamson. In 1872 Norman Miller of Saginaw City gave the congregation the lot across the street from the original church. The frame structure was moved to that site, and worship services were held there until 1885, when the present brick church was erected on the same lot. With the consolidation of the cities of East Saginaw and South Saginaw, the church became known as the Washington Avenue Presbyterian Church. The city's first Boy Scout troop was chartered at this church and one of its most outstanding members, William M. Brucker, ruling elder of the congregation for many years was governor of the State of Michigan from 1931 through 1932.
 

Registered Site L0921
Erected 1982

Location: 2312 South Washington
Maple Grove Township, Saginaw County

Topics:
Governors
Presbyterian Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.405054 W83.957476
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.