St. John's Episcopal Church and Parish House


St. John's Episcopal Church and Parish House photo of St. John
The St. John's Episcopal parish was established on February 4, 1841. Under the leadership of the Reverend Melancthon Hoyt, the parish constructed its first church, now the parish house, that same year. Built on land donated by Ionia's founder, Samuel Dexter, the building was the first church in Ionia county and is thought to be the second oldest Episcopal building in Michigan. It was consecrated on April 24, 1842, by the Reverend Samuel McCoskry, the first Bishop of Michigan. In 1882-83 the present brick church was erected at a cost of $7334.89. This Gothic style structure, with English Cathedral glass windows, was consecrated on July 2, 1890 by the Right Reverend George de Normandie Gillespie, the first Bishop of Western Michigan.
 

Registered Site L0913
Erected 1983

Location: 107 West Washington
Ionia, Ionia County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.983586 W85.0635
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.