Drenthe Christian Reformed Church


Drenthe Christian Reformed Church photo of Drenthe Christian Reformed Church
The village of Drenthe was settled by three groups of Dutch immigrants in 1847. Those from Staphorst settled to the west; those from the province of Drenthe, to the east; and the "Flakkenaars" from Zuid, Holland, to the north. The settlers first worshipped in nearby Vriesland, but in 1848 they built a Reformed church east of the village. It was soon outgrown, and in 1875 this church was built. In 1882, following dissent over some of the practices of the Reformed denomination, the congregation voted to join the recently organized Christian Reformed Church. For many years services were conducted in Dutch, but by 1946 all were in English. Several additions have been made to the structure since 1875, but the main building has the original hand-hewn beams and fieldstone foundation.
 

Registered Site L0905
Erected 1981

Location: 6344 Adams Street
Drenthe, Ottawa County

Topics:
Churches and Religious Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.7822046 W85.9298658
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.