Colonel Samuel White / Homestead


Colonel Samuel White
The Samuel White family was one of the first to settle in Novi Township. White (1794-1870) and his wife, Amanda (1799-1869), immigrated to this area from Royalton, New York, in 1827. White had recently retired from the army, ending a career that included service in the War of 1812. A prosperous farmer, White was the second supervisor of Novi, a delegate to the 1835 Michigan Constitutional Convention and active in numerous other civic endeavors. He built this house for his wife and four children around 1840.
 
 
a photo of Colonel Samuel White / Homestead Colonel Samuel White Homestead
This Greek Revival farm house, built by Samuel White, shows the influence of the people from upstate New York who first settled this area. The deed to the property was signed by John Quincy Adams. Built around 1840, the house retains its original architectural features. The classic entrance, friezes and returns are typical of the style. Heavy native beams support the house, which rests on a fieldstone foundation. The barn, part of the working farm until 1956, was converted to a house in 1980.

Registered Site L0891
Erected 1984

Location: 46040 Nine Mile Road
Novi, Oakland County

Topics
Early Settlers
Historic Homes


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.4521473 W83.5007929
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2014 James Brennan. All rights reserved.