St. Mary Star of the Sea Church


St. Mary Star of the Sea Church photo of St. Mary Star of the Sea Church
In 1880 Bishop Casper Henry Borgess of the Detroit Diocese approved the establishment of a second Catholic parish in the city of Jackson. The cornerstone ceremony for the parish church was held July 4, 1881. The present limestone Romanesque structure, erected in 1923/26 was designed by Frederick Spier of Detroit. One of the towers houses the 2,700-pound 1902 bell from the parish's first church. The edifice also features stained-glass windows imported from Innsbruck, Austria, and Italian Carrara marble altars and communion rails. The confessionals and sacristy cases were built using the pews of the first building. During the parish's growth from 124 members at its founding to 3,800 at the time of its centennial, it has had only six pastors.
 

Registered Site L0885
Erected 1981

Location: Wesley and South Mechanic Streets
Jackson, Jackson County

Topics:
Catholic Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.24466 W84.40577
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.