St. John's Episcopal Church


St. John's Episcopal Church photo of St. John
In 1835, under the leadership of the Reverend Willaim N. Lyster, this church was founded as St. Patrick's Episcopal Church. The Reverend Lyster had organized a church in nearby Tecumseh in 1833, and this church was a mission of that pioneer parish until 1836. In 1853 the parish voted to change its name to St. John's Episcopal Church. Completed in 1835, This is the oldest remaining Episcopal church building in Michigan. Its hand-hewn beams, wainscoting and stained glass windows all date back to 1835.
 

Registered Site L0875
Erected 1984

Location: 122 East Church Street
Clinton, Lenawee County

Topics:
Episcopal Churches


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.071303 W83.970441
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.