First National Bank of Flint


First National Bank of Flint photo of First National Bank of Flint
From its founding in 1864 through it closing in 1933 during the Great Depression, the First National Bank played a significant role in its home city's development. The bank made loans and extended credit to several fledgling motor companies, including Chevrolet, Dort, Monroe, and Mason. Charles Nash, president of both Buick and General Motors, served on the board of directors, as did Arthur G. Bishop, the first vice president of General Motors. The seven-story bank building was constructed in 1924 and expanded five years later. Its neoclassical design features a facade of white, glazed terra cotta. The First National Bank of Flint is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 

Registered Site L0848
Erected 2006

Location: S. Saginaw St. at W. 1st St.
Flint, Genesee County

Topics:
Auto Industry


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.015948222 W83.69094550
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.