Crapo Park


Crapo Park photo of Crapo Park
Henry Howland Crapo (1804-1869) -- wealthy lumberman, Republican, state senator (1863-64) and governor of Michigan (1865-68) -- owned prosperous lumberyards in Holly, Fenton and Flint. Lumber and railroads were essential elements in the development of this area. In 1863-64 Crapo was instrumental in developing the Flint to Holly Railroad, which linked this part of the state to the rest of the country. The eighteen-mile line was among the first to use steel rails in the United States and was funded entirely by private subscriptions. This park, named for Governor Crapo, is on the site of his Holly lumberyard. The property, owned by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad, has been leased to the Village of Holly since 1918.
 

Registered Site L0832
Erected 1980

Location: Martha Street and Washington Street
Holly, Oakland County

Topics:
Governors
Parks


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.7910429 W83.6238420
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.