"The Thing"


"The Thing" photo of "The Thing"
Thomas Clegg (1863-1939) and his English-born father, John, built "The Thing," the first recorded self-propelled vehicle in Michigan (and perhaps the country) in 1884-85. The Thing, driven by a single cylinder steam engine with a tubular boiler carried in the rear, seated four. The vehicle was built in the John Clegg & Son machine shop here in Memphis. It ran about 500 miles before Clegg dismantled it and sold the engine to a creamery. The shop was razed in 1936, just a short time before Henry Ford offered to buy it for Greenfield Village.
 

Registered Site L0824
Erected 1981

Location: Boardman Road at east village limits
Memphis, Macomb County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.89654 W82.76420
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.