Grant Water Tower


Grant Water Tower photo of Grant Water Tower
Among the last of the wooden water towers in Michigan, the Grant Water Towers was built beside the depot in 1891 by the Grand Rapids, Newago and Lakeshore Railroad. It cost $1,910 and could hold 42,648 gallons of water. Although train service ceased in 1966, the Water Tower was used well into the 1980s as a water reserve for the fire departmant. In 2008, after being moved 128 feet easst of its original location, the cypress and pine tower was restored.
 

Photo courtesy of Joe Finkbeiner.

Registered Site L0819
Erected 2011

Location: 100 Main St
Grant, Newago County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.334154626 W85.81093937
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.