Alvah N. Belding Library


Alvah N. Belding Library photo of Alvah N. Belding Library
Alvah N. Belding erected this library in 1917/18 as a memorial to his parents, Hiram and Mary Wilson Belding. Alvah and his brother Hiram began peddling silk around Belding (then Patterson's Mills) in 1858. With the help of their brother Milo they began the internationally known Belding Bros. & Company in 1863. Michigan's first silk mill was erected here in 1886 and operated until 1932. This library, which cost $50,000, was dedicated and presented to the City of Belding on May 14, 1918. It is the only structure built by the Beldings still being used for its original purpose. An example of Classical Revival architecture, the limestone structure features a Spanish-tile roof. Its interior contains trim of marble oak and pine.
 

Registered Site L0816
Erected 1981

Location: 302 East Main St
Belding, Ionia County

Topics:
Public Buildings


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.097787 W85.226823
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.