Gerrish


Gerrish photo of Gerrish
Near this site on April 5, 1880, area residents met at the Gerrish Logging Camp to elect officers for their newly formed township. James Watson was chosen as the first supervisor. Originally the township embraced present-day Gerrish, Lyon and Markey townships. In 1920 the present boundary line was established. This structure, the second permanent town hall, was erected in 1970. The township borders on half of the shoreline of Michigan's sixth largest inland lake, Higgins Lake, and is primarily a resort area.
 

Photo courtesy of Joe Finkbeiner

Registered Site L0760
Erected 1980

Location: 2997 East Higgins Lake Drive
Roscommon, Roscommon County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.4575854 W84.6644639
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.