Rochester


Rochester photo of Rochester
The area known as Rochester was settled in 1817 by James Graham. It was the first permanent settlement in present-day Oakland County. The community was named in honor of Rochester, New York, where many of its pioneers once lived. In 1819 the first industry in this vicinity was founded when William Russell, Benjamin Woodworth, Alexander Graham, and John Hersey erected a water-powered sawmill. In 1826 Lewis Cass, territorial governor of Michigan, with Austin E. Wing, and Charles Larned, platted the village, which was incorporated in 1869 and became a city in 1967. Abundant sources of water and the advent of the railroad contributed to the development of woolen, flour, saw and paper, mills in the region. The Rochester area is now a major cultural center and includes Oakland University, Michigan Christian College and Leader Dog School for the Blind.
 

Registered Site L0759
Erected 1980

Location: 400 Sixth Street
Rochester, Oakland County

Topics:
Cities and Towns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N42.683889 W83.136667
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.