Columbiaville Depot


Columbiaville Depot photo of Columbiaville Depot
In the nineteenth century, railroads provided the prime transportation link between small villages and the rest of the country. The first Columbiaville depot was built near this site in 1872. In 1893 William Peter (1824-1899) replaced that structure with this Romanesque inspired depot with its rounded arch, beveled-glass windows. Peter, Columbiaville's dominant merchant and a millionaire lumber baron, built the depot in an effort to spur the development of the village and assure the continued growth of his many businesses. By prior agreement, he gave the building to the Detroit-Bay City Railroad Company in exchange for having a line run through the community. The property was deeded to the company for one dollar in 1893. It served as a train station until 1964. The depot now houses the Columbiaville Rotary Club and a public library.
 

Registered Site L0750
Erected 1981

Location: 4643 First Street
Columbiaville, Lapeer County

Topics:
Transportation


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N43.1560600 W83.4087449
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.