Novotny's Saloon


Novotny's Saloon photo of Novotny
In 1886, Antoine Novotny, one of the Bohemian founders of this community, built a bar on this site. Novotny's Saloon was the social center of the city's south side and headquarters of the Traverse City Hustlers semi-pro baseball team. In 1939 the business was purchased by William H. Dill, and the name changed to Dillís. In the ensuing years, the adjacent meat market and vegetable stand were added to the pre-existing establishment. The second floor was the home of both the Salvation Army and a dance hall. On April 22, 1978, a fire destroyed the original wood frame building. This near replica of that structure, which was completed ten weeks later, continues to be one of Traverse City's social centers.
 

Registered Site L0737
Erected 1980

Location: 423 South Union Street
Traverse City, Grand Traverse County

Topics:
Hotels and Inns


Home
Facebook link
Like us to get daily history updates.
 
N44.760326 W85.623681
View detailed Google map w/Satellite view
 
© 1991-2015 James Brennan. All rights reserved.